Wednesday, January 23, 2008

CIS Visit

Hubby and I happily met at the Department of Homeland Security Office today for our fingerprint appointment. We were greeted by two stern guards at a security station much like you'd pass through at the airport.

Their serious demeanor didn't last long, though. Straight from work, I was wearing a dressy black knee-length skirt, sweater, and knee boots. The security guard asked me to remove my boots to pass through the metal detector. I complied... only to reveal hot pink striped knee socks that were originally part of my Strawberry Shortcake Halloween costume. Oops. Plan ahead, plan ahead....

While waiting for our fingerprints, we were instructed to scrub our hands with overscented lotion pumped from an industrial-size carton. Hubby commented that it smelled like Orange Glo cleaner, and we were told that's exactly what it was, minus the "grit." I felt like a citrus fruit for the rest of the afternoon.

We hit it off with the gentleman who took our fingerprints. He redid several of our prints multiple times to make sure they met the computer's specs. He and Lance discovered that they both became Catholic within the last few years, and they had a good chat about the Church and their classes.

A citizenship ceremony was about to commence as we left. One lady I met seemed absolutely giddy about gaining citizenship. I was excited for her.... I know it's not quick or easy to do so. There were dozens of people there, many of them with flowers and cameras. What a big day they were having!

As for us, we're so glad to have another step out of the way. Now we will watch the mail for our I-171H. Once we receive that, we'll overnight it to CHI and officially be added to their list. Based on other blogs I've read lately, we expect to be in the mid-200's. Let the waiting begin!

3 comments:

Chandra said...

Congrats! I hope you receive your approval quickly.

Kathryn said...

I thought when we started out as #159 that was a way large number, but compared to the mid-250's, it's not even close.

angie said...

I can't wait for you to officially get on the list! We'll have to celebrate!!!